Why You Should Talk to Police After a Crash

You’ve probably heard someone, maybe even an attorney, say that you should never talk to the police. They might advise that you should either ask if you’re free to go or you should request your right to an attorney. However, the truth is that there’s one very good reason why you should talk to the police after a car crash.

Reporting the Crash

The best reason why you should talk to the police after a crash is that you need them to file a police report. A police report is a verifiable public document written from an unbiased third party demonstrating that there was a car crash, where it happened, what injuries and property damage it caused, and who was involved. When possible, it may also include the testimony of witnesses who can provide additional evidence.

A police report is the first thing an attorney will ask for during your case consultation. When you have a police report, your attorney has a means of proving the circumstances of the crash and making sure the other driver is held accountable for their negligence.

A Legal Obligation

While a police report is useful for arguing minor crashes, like a fender bender, they are required for more serious crashes. Florida law requires a police report for a crash that meets any of the following criteria:

  • More than $500 in property damage

  • Someone is seriously injured by the crash

  • Someone is killed in the crash

  • A driver flees the scene (hit and run)

  • The crash involves a drunk or intoxicated driver.

The truth is that talking to the police after a car crash isn’t just a good idea, it’s often a legal responsibility. The majority of car crashes will cause more than $500 in damages and it’s crucial that irresponsible or intoxicated drivers are reported so that they may face justice.

If you or someone you love suffered serious injuries in a car crash, we are here for you. If you’d like an experienced Brevard County personal injury attorney Henderson & Futchko, P.A. to evaluate your case, please send us an email or call (321) 320-7162.